Bar Stool Selection: 7 Features to Consider
Shopping is fun. Fresh. Spontaneous. Carefree. Sometimes, there is not really a plan in mind. You may have no answer when asked what you are looking for today. You'll know it when you see it, right?
For the most part, yes! But, shopping for bar stools should include a simple checklist. Bar stools are functional furniture that should grace your home for years to come. Just make sure those beautiful bar stools that make you smile, now, have the features that will make you enjoy using them in your home. Here are seven features to consider when making your barstool selection:
1. BAR STOOL HEIGHT--The main consideration is the height of the table or counter from the floor to the surface. The general rule is to allow 10" to 13" between the bar stool seat and the bottom of the table or counter. For example, a table or counter that is 42" high may work best with standard size 30" bar stools. Be sure to consider any other obstacles such as a counter overhang which could affect leg room.
2. STYLE--Decorating style defines the character of a room, whether it is Retro, Modern or Traditional. Retro bar stools are the sundae topping for vintage and '50s style interiors. Modern stools enhance the unique patterns and construction of contemporary furnishings. Traditional stools blend with many furnishing styles. Of course, rules go out the window for the eclectic home which is created with multiple themes, shapes or colors.
3. BACK OR BACKLESS and WITH OR WITHOUT ARMRESTS--One choice is not better than the other, but back and backless stools are totally different in terms of form and function. Backless bar stools take up less space, are less visually intrusive and tuck neatly under counters. Bar stools with backs offer the comfort of back support and the beauty created by their back shapes. Similarly, armrests offer an optional comfort feature. Assess if space allows armrests to fit under the counter or if space allows placement of bar stools with armrests just touching the counter.
4. SWIVEL OR NON-SWIVEL--This decision should be based on movement preference. Swivel bar stools allow the occupant to turn easily to exit the table or counter space. Swivels provide easy turning movement for visiting with other people. On the other hand, non-swivel bar stools provide stationary seating, for those who prefer no movement.
5. UPHOLSTERED OR NON-UPHOLSTERED--Consider comfort, appearance and care. Upholstered models offer padded seating as well as a creative outlet for introducing fabric color, texture or pattern to a room. Non-upholstered models have a classic look and do not need cleaning or to be reupholstered should they become worn or soiled.
6. MATERIAL/CONSTRUCTION--The bar stool is an increasingly popular and practical piece of furniture that is branching out into many material combinations, including wood, metal, chrome and even fiberglass. Purely a preferential decision, select the construction based on furniture with which it will be blended. For example, consider the look of continuing a type of wood or color stain already present in the room or introducing a different material such as metal, to add variety.
7. GEOMETRIC AESTHETICS--Choose bar stools with curvy designs or squared traditional lines baed on existing furniture pieces and architectural elements in the room. Perhaps continuing a squared or linear style with other boxy, rectangular furniture would be visually appealing. Maybe breaking up a room full of horizontal and vertical lines with some rounded bar stool features, like a curved back or a round seat would add interest to the living space.
Fold away your handy check list and shop for the barstools of your dreams. Then, when you think you have found the perfect bar stools for your home, just check to make sure you are buying furniture that is functional for your house and makes you look forward to going home every day.
Bar Stool Height Selection Tip
Allow 10" to 13" space between the bar stool seat and the bottom of the bar table or counter. See Bar Stool Height Selection.
Note: All prices in US Dollars
Search by Keyword